This is the Best Way to Itchy Eyes – The eye is one of the body parts that are quite often experience itching. When you experience itchy eyes, the first thing you do is rub your eyes. Unfortunately, according to health experts, this eye rubbing habit can trigger irritation, red-eye, and other eye health problems. So, how to deal with itchy eyes?
How do you get rid of itchy eyes
Cast itchy eyes can be done independently at home, here are some ways to treat itchy eyes that are recommended by doctors:
1. Coldwater compress
Eye health expert Dr. Endang Johani, SpM from Siloam Lippo Village Karawaci Hospital advised us not to rub our eyes easily when itching eyes. According to him, our corneas are quite delicate and susceptible to damage if we frequently rub them, especially if in a rough way.
Instead of rubbing his eyes, dr. Endang suggests how to treat itchy eyes with a cold compress on itchy eyes. Simply by using two sheets of cotton that have been dipped in ice water, we place the cotton on itchy eyes for 1-3 minutes. Apply this compress to the itchy eye several times until the itching disappears and the eyes feel much more comfortable.
2. Blink your eyes repeatedly
Another eye health expert, dr. Zeiras Eka Djamal, SpM, also mentioned that the habit of rubbing itchy eyes or getting into dust is very dangerous because it can cause eye injury. Dust or foreign objects attached to the eye can scratch the surface of the eye when we rub it and eventually trigger the injury.
In contrast to Dr. Endang, who suggested treating itchy eyes with cold water compresses, while Dr. Zeiras advises us to blink our eyes repeatedly so that tears naturally relieve itching and remove dust and various foreign matter in the eyes.
3. Eye drops
Eye drops can help overcome itchy eyes practically. Some eye drops are made for allergies and redness, while others function like artificial tears for dry eyes. The best type of eye drops is preservative-free. If the eye itching does not go away, immediately consult a doctor.
Itchy Eye Treatment
The choice of treatment for itchy eyes depends on the cause of itchy eyes. Options may include certain treatments and recommendations:
- Identify the cause and avoid it
- Maintain good eye hygiene
- Stop using contact lenses or use a different type
Regulates air temperature and humidity
- Cleanse the eyes with a saltwater solution
- Take antibiotics or other itchy eye medication
- Using decongestants
- Combining decongestants and antihistamines
- Apply the medication to the eye to increase tear production
- Using steroid injections over the upper eyelid
Health care providers will discuss the recommended treatments based on the condition being treated.
Preventing itchy eyes
Having explained how to treat itchy eyes, necessary precautions. Prevention of frequent itchy eyes depends on the root cause of the problem. People need to talk with health care providers to find out about conditions that cause eye problems. Your doctor or eye specialist can also advise any precautions that can reduce the frequency or severity of the condition.
There are several steps you can take to maintain good eye health, including these:
- Moisturize the air at home if you live in a dry area or use heating to keep warm in the rainy season.
- Clean the filter in a moisturizer carefully and regularly. Consider a HEPA filter for air purification.
- Change filters in air conditioners and heating systems as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Avoid rubbing or rubbing the eyes. If the eyes hurt, you should sit down and apply a soothing cold compress for 10 minutes.
- Avoid smoking. Avoid scented candles, which can cause eye irritation. Any candle can pollute the air with soot and irritation.
- Live a healthy diet that contains vitamin A and omega-3 fatty acids.
- If you have allergies, stay indoors when pollen levels are high outside.
- Use eye protection or special glasses if working with anything dusty or sandy.
- Strong odors, such as cleaning chemicals, perfumes, aromas, or even onions can irritate, cause inflammation, and provide the perfect environment for bacteria to nest. You should try to avoid this if possible.
Food for Healthy Eyes
In addition to medication supplements, foods that you consume daily can also be healthy, including the following:
Many fish are rich in sources of omega-3 fatty acids. Oily fish are fish that have oil in their intestines and body tissues, so eating them offers higher levels of omega-3 fish oil. Fish that contain the most useful omega-3 levels include:
Several studies have found that fish oil can reverse dry eyes, including dry eyes caused by spending too much time on the computer.
2. Nuts and legumes
Beans are also rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Nuts also contain high levels of vitamin E, which can protect the eyes from age-related damage.
Nuts and legumes that are good for eye health include:
- Brazil nut
- Cashew nut
Like beans and peas, seeds are high in omega-3s and are a rich source of vitamin E.
Omega-3 seeds high include:
- Chia seeds
- Flax seeds
- Hemp seeds
4. Citrus fruits
Citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C. Just like vitamin E, vitamin C is an antioxidant recommended by AOA to fight eye damage related to age.
Citrus fruits rich in vitamin C include:
5. Leafy green vegetables
Leafy green vegetables are rich in lutein and zeaxanthin and are also an eye-friendly source of vitamin C.
Famous green leaves include:
That’s the way to get rid of itchy eyes to healthy foods. I hope it is a useful, Healthy Friend!